Inquest Hears Michael Atkins’ Account Of The Night Matthew Leveson Died

Photo: Matthew Leveson. Image: Facebook

Almost a decade since Sydney man Matthew Leveson went missing after leaving Arq nightclub, his lover at the time, Michael Atkins, has revealed what he believes happened the night Leveson was last seen alive.

Atkins has revealed to police that he buried Matthew Leveson’s body in the Royal National Park after finding his him dead in their bedroom. He says he found a bottle of the party drug GHB in their kitchen, and suggested that Leveson must have overdosed.

Atkins says he didn’t call for help because he was afraid of being outed as a gay man, so went to a local Bunnings hardware store and bought gaffer tape and a mattock to bury Leveson’s body.

Matthew’s parents do not believe Atkins’ story:

“He had him in the unit for hours and didn’t even call triple-0,” a distressed Faye Leveson said during a press conference, “If you can believe what he said.”

In October last year, Atkins claimed he had a “tiny bit” of hope that Leveson was still alive and may have travelled overseas to “start a new life”.

The inquest into Leveson’s murder continues this week after it adjourned last November so that police could search the Royal National Park for Matthew’s remains. They were finally discovered on May 31 this year.

Faye Leveson told the NSW Coroner’s Court, in her victim’s impact statement, that she lays awake at night haunted by images of her son’s bones in the dirt.

DNA is Australia's best-selling magazine for gay men. Every month, you'll find great feature stories, celebrity profiles, pop culture reviews and sensational photography of some of the world's sexiest male models in our fashion stories. DNA was launched in Australia in 2000 and is available worldwide in Print (in newsagents and bookstores throughout Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, UK and Europe) and Digital (through DNAstore, Pocketmags, iTunes, Amazon Kindle, Windows and Google Play).

Copyright © 2019 DNA Magazine.

To Top

Your Cart